Papa Tom's Corn Flour Tortillas
These made from scratch tortillas have a nice toasty corn flavor, and are soft and easy to make. Fill with whatever suits your mood.
- 2 Cups Papa Tom's Yellow Corn Flour
- 1 Cup Water
- ½ tsp Salt
- Mix flour and salt, then add warm water. Knead until a soft dough forms, adding more water or flour as needed.
- Tightly wrap dough in plastic wrap and let sit for 10-30 minutes.
- Divide dough into about 16 balls, about 1/2-inch in diameter each. Place each ball between 2 sheets of plastic wrap or waxed paper and roll into 5-inch round using a rolling pin, heavy flat-bottomed pan or tortilla press.
- If the edges of the tortilla are uneven and crumbly, the dough needs a little more water. If the dough sticks to the waxed paper and it is very soft, add a few tablespoons of flour.
- Repeat with remaining dough, leaving each tortilla between the sheets of waxed paper.
- Heat an ungreased cast iron griddle or large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Peel off the top sheet of waxed paper and invert the tortilla into the hot pan, quickly and carefully peel off remaining wax paper.
- Cook tortilla until stiffened, about 30 seconds; turn for 1 minute or until it is lightly browned, then turn to the first side for 30 seconds. The cooking time for each tortilla should be less than 2 minutes, do not cook until crispy.
Papa Tom’s Yellow Corn Flour can be purchased here!