Southern Style Grits
Comfort food perfection...creamy, cheesy, and smooth southern style grits. The richness and creaminess rivals the taste of a great risotto.
- 1 cup Papa Tom's Stone Ground Grits (Yellow or White)
- 3 cups water
- ⅓ tsp salt (kosher or sea salt)
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 6 tbsp Butter
- ⅓ cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese (2 oz)
- ¾ cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- Place water, grits, bay leaf, and salt in a large pot and bring to a boil. When it starts to boil, turn off the fire, cover the pot, and let the grits continue to soak in the hot water for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, uncover the grits and return to a boil. Continue to cook the grits on a low fire, stirring constantly, for about 15 to 20 minutes. If it gets too thick, add some water, and continue to stir.
- Remove from the fire and discard the bay leaf. Add the butter, 1 oz of cheddar cheese, and cream to the pot and stir thoroughly. You may add more salt to taste. Top with additional cheddar cheese as it is served.
- Serve immediately for best results.
Papa Tom’s Stone Ground Grits (Yellow or White) can be purchased here!